Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Roof tear down

As many of you know, we have been wanting to put a new roof on the house. Well, for the last 3 weeks or so, we have been doing just that. We began tearing the old roof off the house at the end of July. Of course, we have found many exciting treasures. To begin, we discovered 3 layers of composite roofing under the existing metal roof. There was also a colony (herd, horde, group, gaggle, hertle?) of bats living in the attic crawl space (insert "ewww" or "gross" or another applicable comment here...)! We counted at least 35 of them coming out one night. We also found an old, abandoned GI Joe - which probably just fell out of Bear's pocket. We all know how much he used to love GI Joe's! Anyway, the scariest part is the live, melted wire we found after removed the old insulation. Needless to say, we are now 2/3 of the way to new electrical wiring all through the house. Expensive endevour, but well worth the cost. So, for now, I'll post the demolition pictures for you to enjoy. We are still doing some finish work, but I'll get some current pictures up soon of the almost finished product.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a job and I'm so sorry about the bats, I hear their poop can be dangerous so BE CAREFUL. I bet the work will be worth it and we won't even recognize your house when you finish:)